BEAR'8 CREEK GOLD MINING COMPANY.
An extraordinary meeting of the shareholders in tho Bear's Creek Gold Mining Company, in tho Upper Yarra district, was held yesterday at Messrs. Meuilell and Cameron's offices, Queen-, streot, Mr. J.
Stewart, chairman of directors, presiding. The chairman explained that the meeting was called to authorise the altering of the capital of the company by dividing the existing 100 shares of £20 each into 20,000 shares of 2.-1. each, in order to get a better market, as it was very hard to get anyone to take shares of £20 each. The shares would be a great deal easier to handle, and a larger number of shareholders would also be brought into the company. Several alterations In tho clauses of the articles of association necessary to bring- about the proposed change were then carried unanimously. Messrs. Chas. Rogers and A. V. Edgcuinbo were elected directors, and the meeting concluded.
Statement of Significance
Browns Camp is of regional significance as a site that demonstrates the nature and scale of sluicing operations in the upper catchment of the Yarra River from the 1860s, and that retains a range of evidence including mining and occupation sites.
DescriptionBrown's Camp was an early mining settlement which serviced the Bear's Creek-Donovan's Creek sluicing areas. Many of the tributaries of the Yarra River in the Upper Yarra catchment show evidence of sluicing.
This site was surveyed around 1980 by MMBW staff. Evidence remaining at this site included: 7 or 8 hut sites and several bottle dumps (raided by collectors). A water race used for sluicing leads from the Camp to Bear's Creek. A track can be followed from the Camp past the Jumbo Wolfram mine, several old camp sites and other sites containing machinery and old trolley tracks associated with the mine. The Wolfram mine closed after the 1939 fires and now has its entrance blocked by floodwater. There is also evidence of timber procurement in vicinity of mine. (Supple 1991)
Physical Conditions: Not revisited